Legacy Addresses

Hi all,

This topic may have been discussed earlier. I would appreciate any
information though.

On making a PCI device respond to Legacy I/O addresses, are there any
specific issues that one needs to take care of? Has there been any
specification proposed for such devices (except for IDE devices that can
work both on PCI native mode and Legacy)?

As long as decoding an I/O address and enabling/disabling such a feature are
concerned, there is not much trouble in putting the required logic into the
PCI device, and the logic will respond properly, provided that the I/O
access is passed through the bridge and reaches the PCI device. My concern
is more of possible side effects, or system dependent issues that might be
there.

Any info/guidelines appreciated.