Re: Memory on PCI

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, John R Pierce wrote:

> >   I am looking for PCI memory boards for a particular application.
> > In particular, I would like to be able to put 4-8 Mbyte of normal
> > DRAM on the PCI bus that can be directly written to by other
> > masters on the bus. I have tried several different ways to find references
> > to PCI memory boards on the WEB with no success (excluding reflective
> > memory). Do any of you out there know of outfits that make memory
> > boards for PCI ?

Hi John,

  Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about trying to adapt a video
card, but maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Brian

> The only common form for memory on the PCI bus is video cards.. a 4MB S3 Virge
> DRAM based card is around $179 discount retail.  Due to the economy of volume,
> this is probably cheaper than most any memory-only solution, as the graphics
> chip (which is the PCI interface and memory controller too) is only around $20
> in volume.

Brian A. Cole                                   Nevis Laboratories
Asst. Professor of Physics                      PO Box 137
Columbia University                             Irvington, NY 10533
cole@nevis.columbia.edu                         (914)591-2818