PCI brackets dont fit in chassis

We make 1394 cards with 3 connectors in the bracket which makes for a
PCI bracket that is very rigidly attached to the card. What we see is
that most/all chassis's have a bracket mounting frame that is *greater*
than 90degrees with respect to the PCI edge connector on the
motherboard.

If we make our card/bracket to PCI 2.1 specs, it is very difficult to
install, especially with the screw in place. Before you think "not our
card?" note that we have a bracket mounting very near the top edge which
allows the bracket to bend very little. A typical PCI VGA card is short,
and has a lot of room to bend (slightly) in order to be able to screw
the bracket to the side of the chassis. This kind of card has enough
mechanical slop to work fine, whereas ours does not.

I'm interested in your opinions of the validity of my observations
below:

1. Most/all chassis's are *not* 90degrees to PCI edge conn on
motherboard (you can see this visually)
2. loosening the top screw to allow the top  of the bracket to be as far
away from the card as possible helps

What we are considering is to perform #2 to make the card fit better.
Please comment on your experience with this problem either way - if you
have seen it or not - I would very much appreciate any feedback. I will
post results afterwards.