PICMG PCI backplanes

Hello,

I've recently seen a PICMG backplane with 18 PCI slots. I was suprised to
see only two PCI-PCI Bridges on board. It turns out that 8 PCI connectors
plus one PCI-PCI bridge bake up on PCI Bus segement. This is a 33MHz 5V
signalling 32-bi backplane.

Does anyone know if there is any validity to this design? I Believe I've
seen enough PCI to believe that 4 or 5 connectors is about all anyone who
follows the PCI timing specification can attain.

Has anyone seen this besides me? Is this one vendor or a more common thing
out there?

Dave Johnston
VideoServer, Inc.
djohnston@videoserver.com