Order of PCI cards if multiple cards are installed.

Basically, this is my question.

We have multiple network interface cards and want to create  a bootdisk that
can use ONE of these cards.  How would you know which cards would be put
first in the list of available NICs (by default) under Windows95/98 or NT or
2000?  Is this more of a software question?  Are PCI numbers assigned
depending on which slot they are in?  Also, if one of the NICs is onboard,
can I assume that this NIC will be detected first?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

Jeremy