RE: pci9080 chip

One possibility is the serial eeprom may be loading garbage into the chip
causing all sorts
of problems, although from your message it's not clear if you have one
installed or not.
If you do, consider disconnecting the serial eeprom data output
pin(temporarily) by desoldering if you have to.
The 9080 EEDO pin has an internal pullup. It decides a low on EEDO is an
eeprom start bit, so by this mod,
you guarantee the 9080 won't see an eeprom and will reset to some "normal"
default values, which ought to
let your PC boot.
If this all works, then your eeprom likely has bad values in it. Note that
the 9080 is "supposed" to
automatically detect if the eeprom is blank (all 0xffff) but in my
experience it doesn't work.
I always add a pullup resistor to the eeprom CS pin, and a board jumper that
lets me disconnect the 9080
EECS pin, therefore causing the 9080 to not see the eeprom and use default
values. I boot up with
the jumper pulled, then put it back on while the power is up. This lets me
reprogram the eeprom using their
PLXMON or our homegrown software even when the eeprom is loaded with bad
data.
Hope this helps!
Gord Wait