From: Rick Collins - Arius [mailto:PCImail@arius.com]
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2000 10:06 PM
To: PCI mailing list
Subject: Offtopic - Interviews and non-disclosure agreements

I am posting this here because I would like to hear the opinions of this
group.

I am interviewing and I have been asked by more than one company to sign a
non-disclosure agreement (NDA) as a precondition to the interview. In one
case it was indicated that they needed to disclose sensitive information to
me as part of the interview process. The other company was not even willing
to discuss the matter, "It is company policy".

Of course this tells me a lot about the two companies, but is this common?
Should I expect this from a significant percentage of the companies I
interview with?

It concerns me because I can see potential problems if I sign a NDA with
company A and take a position with company B. If the work at company B is
related to the "sensitive information" from company A, I would be working
in a tight spot! I could even be sued by company A if they got wind of it.

I have been interviewing for twenty years (not for the same job change ;)
and I have never been asked to sign a NDA for an interview.

What do you think about this?

Rick Collins