Re: Merging of two 32-bits to form one 64-bit data

Hi there,

Interesting situation you have there.
I don't think there is any pci-recommendation or rule that will help you out
here.

However, I think you can re-use a solution you already have in your bridge,
ie. during the
initiation of the 64-bit burst!

What do I mean with this?

During the *initiating* of a 64-bit transaction there are 2 requirements
that must be met:
a. the target  has 64-bit capabilities (ACK64#)
b. the bridge has 64-bit data that it wants to write.

These same rules apply at every cycle during the rest of the burst as well.
So....
if  you have a 32-bit 'left-over' in your pipe-line, you do the same as
during the start of the transfer:
a. you (wait for the) end the current transfer (in this case the 64-bit
transfer)
b. you start a 32-bit write, ie. you will need to re-arbitrate for the bus
to support the 32-bit transfer.

'hope this helps?

Martijn Emons
- Designer Consultant -