RE: Expansion ROM not started

Rakitin Vladimir,

It sounds like there is possibly nothing wrong with
the forth device!   To verify this, you should try the
forth device all by itself - without the other devices
installed.  If it works by itself it suggest one of two
issues.

Possibilities:
1.  The system BIOS in the PC is running out of
shadow space to put a forth expansion ROM.  When
the system BIOS cannot identify sufficient space, it
simply doesn't load the PCI expansion ROM - or run it.
The system BIOS would otherwise configure the device
giving it I/O ranges and memory assignments, and interrupt
assignments.

2. The expansion ROM's could be inteacting with each
other, and the forth loads, and then unloads because
of interactions.   (This doesn't sound like the issue to me,
but its a slim possibility.   I really think #1 above is occuring).

You can see a difference between machines because the
available shadow space varies on different machines.
It sounds like the ASUS has a large amount of shadow
space.  (Is that a Pentium 166Mhz machine, if so, its rather
old - and believe it or not, those machines tended to have
MORE shadow space than newer machines!)

The newer machines may have insufficient shadow space
to load four PCI expansion option ROM's.   When they run
out of shadow space, they just don't load the last expansion ROM
generally.

-David O'Shea