From: Klaus Bahner [mailto:kgb@tcelectronic.dk]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 10:08 AM
To: brad yu (by way of Daniel Weaver <dan.weaver@znyx.com>)
Cc: pci-sig@znyx.com
Subject: Re: Maximum Power for add in card more than 25W

Brad,

PCI doesn't allow any card to consume more than 25W. If your card
exceeds this limit than it isn't PCI compatible. Period.

Of course your card can eat more power. I'm not aware of any motherboard
monitoring the actuall current drawn by a PCI card, so the board will
still be powered. However, since you are beyond the spec, don't be
surprised if your motherboard gets damaged due to overload on the power
supply lines, especially the power supply traces on the motherboard
print are the ones melting down first ;-)
In this case code PRST1/2 as 25W.

Bottom line, if you are designing a board exceeding the 25W limit for
your own test purposes (i.e. a controlled environment), this may be OK.
But if you plan to release your board to the public, then this is a no
go.

And keep in mind that there might be other cards, which consume some
power too.

Best,
Klaus