RE: Calling the PCI BIOS under Windows NT 4.0 / Windows 2000

Under WinNT4.0, there was no "collection" of data.
There is a standard IO manager call, which eventually translates to
HalGetBusData().   That call just retrieves data
from the PCI configuration space for you, but it *does*
actually envoke the bus, i.e. it translates to PCI configuration
cycles.  So you "access" the configuration space via HalGetBusData(),
but you are still just searching the configuration space....

I am out of date wrt Win2K.  My *impression* in Win2K is
that the IOManager and BusDriver probably keep the data around in
some data repository, but its a new element to NT-based OS vs NT4.
I have not researched what the appropriate Win2K IOcalls might
be to ascertain any data from the BusDriver, so I'm not terribly
useful in commenting to the specifics in that this newer MS OS.
(I might go poke around just to fill this whole in my knowledge
next week - if so I might post a comment on findings, I don't have
time now).

It's a sure thing however that trying to call the BIOS
directly from NT4 or Win2K is going to lead to failure.

-David O'Shea