Re: Question on BGA pinout for 66MHz PCI

Hi James,

I would suggest using a PCB CAD package to place down the
BGA that you are using, and do a route of signal lines
from the PCI connector to your BGA pads.  I believe that
the resulting pinout, that makes the PCB routing simplest, will
often be the best pinout to adopt.

That is, of course, unless there are other constraints.
If you are using an FPGA and some third party PCI
interface IP, then the pinouts may be recommended
or defined by the FPGA vendor, or the IP supplier.

For example, if you are using a Xilinx FPGA for your PCI
interface, and if you are using Xilinx PCI Logicore IP,
then the pinouts for the PCI signals to the BGA packages
are fixed by the user constraints file (UCF), that is
supplied with the IP.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Tony Burch