RE: Fw: PCI Clock

Without reviewing it, I expect that the PCI-SIG process does something like
you propose.  They have this all covered.  The issue is vendors not caring.

Microsoft will not care either I would guess, as they need to support any
and all hardware so they look like the ultimate OS.  Although they should
care, since otherwise THEY get blamed for the crashes.

There probably is not a solution short of customers demanding reliable
machines, and most customers are too ... um... unsophisticated to demand
anything.  Another driver could be published reviews of compliance or
stability.  But who would fund them?  And who would read them?  Not the
masses that buy PCs from the Sunday paper.  The only way I can think of that
headway might be made would be for a major vendor to decide that this was a
good idea and hype it on their box.  Others would have to follow suit to
stay in business.  I ASSUME that the PCI-SIG logo is sufficient technically.
It could become impossible to gain significant market share without the
logo.  Cease-and-desist suits would have to be funded by PCI-SIG members
against violators, as well as audits.  The way to start would be for
designed-to-spec cards to make a demonstratable difference and have one
vendor decide to push the issue in an attempt to take over market share.
One marginal design in a big market should do it - honest and undeniable
demos could be created and plastered all over.  Open a case of brand X and
see crashes.  In every instance install brand Y and see it work reliably.

A big step.  Probably never happen.  We are doomed to running on marginal
machines.