PCI Card causing PC to Hang

Greetings

At Renishaw I've been working on a PCI card, which we've found causes
certain PCs to hang as the BIOS is running, just before the operating system
gets called. I've exhausted the tests I can think of and I've tested our
card with the Foxfire 2 card from PCI-SIG and everything appears to be okay.

Our card is I/O mapped with three 256 byte BAR spaces. The Foxfire card
tests running without our card in the PC indicate that there are no other
I/O mapped PCI devices on the bus which should cause any conflict of I/O
space.

This only happens on certain PC's. We have one PC here which the card causes
to hang and the Foxfire card tests show that this PC runs "Configuration
Mechanism #2". The foxfire card tests show that the good PC, which our card
does work with, is running "Configuration Mechanism #1".

Could somebody explain what the difference between these two mechanisms is,
or suggest where I could find this information out from?

Any other suggestions as to potential causes of our problem would also be
appreciated.

Many thanks

Alex Huntley

--------------------------------------
Design Engineer
Renishaw plc
New Mills
Wotton-under-Edge
Gloucestershire
GL12 8JR
United Kingdom

Tel. +44 (0) 1453 524524
Fax.+44 (0) 1453 524201

 This email and any attachments are confidential and are for the
 use of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you must not
 use or disclose the contents to any other person. Please immediately
 notify the sender and delete the email. Statements and opinions
 expressed here may not represent those of the company.
 Email correspondence is monitored by the company.

 The parent company of the Renishaw Group is Renishaw plc, registered
 in England no. 1106260. Registered Office: New Mills, Wotton-under-Edge
 Gloucestershire, GL12 8JR, United Kingdom. Tel +44 (0) 1453 524524