Re: PCI Card causing PC to Hang

Just as a note, I verified there is a way to hang a PC without violating
the protocol.

If your board for some reason is not yet ready to be configured, it is
legal that whenever it receives configuration accesses it retries the
host. As far as I remember there is no upper limit to how long you can
do that.

The BIOS sees retries on the slot, so it understands that the slot is
populated and keeps trying to understand what device it is.

Just a note.
Ciao, Marco.

kevinbraceusenet@hotmail.com wrote:
> Have you used a logic analyzer to see what is going on the PCI bus?
> If the card you are talking about is freezing up the computer, that probably
> means that the card is claiming the transaction by asserting DEVSEL#, but is
> not asserting TRDY# to end the transfer.

  Marco BRAMBILLA

  STMicroelectronics
  Via C. Olivetti, 2
  20041 Agrate Brianza (MI)
  ITALY

  TPA - Wireline Communications Division
  tel   : +39 039 603.6614   (ST Agrate - TINA 050 6614)
  mailto:marco-tpa.brambilla@st.com