RE: What's your bus? Summary #2

I'd say that there are essentially two mailing lists for
PCI Express.   One of them is actually this list, as this
list functions as the PCI-SIG mailing list, and PCI-Express
is a PCI-SIG specification.

Members of the PCI-SIG can download the PCI-Express specification
from the PCI-SIG website at http://www.pci-sig.com.  The specification
has been approved by the SIG since July timeframe.

Intel (who is a member of the PCI-SIG as well) has been sponsoring
a lot of how-to information at its web site, a portion of the
Intel Developer Network.

http://developer.intel.com/technology/pciexpress/devnet/index.htm

That includes PCI-Express I/O cell models and other information.
And as part of the workgroup function of that sight, one can join
a mailing list for each workgroup.   The most active workgroup (and
mailing list) currently would have to the I/O cell and model workgroup.

Currently, there has not been a huge amount of software information
really distributed beyond the specification itself.   There have been
a few white papers, and those are available from the PCI-SIG site.
The software "pause" is (I hope) primarily because PCI-Express
is backward compatible with PCI from a software model standpoint.

PCI-Express does extend the configuration space, but the extended
space need not be accessed by software which it trying only to get
PCI equivalent software function out of PCI-Express devices. (e.g.,
if the BIOS does its work correctly, legacy OS that "only" know about
PCI will work just fine with PCI express).   The P2P Bridge model is
preserved.

PCI-Express also supports a couple of interrupt mechanisms.  One of
them provides for PCI compatible INTx style interrupts, and follows
the INTx barber pole rules when transitting PCIn-to-PCIn busses in
the software model.   MSI and MSI-X interrupts are also supported, and
these will likely catch on with newer OS as they come out.  But to
start, I would expect the tried and true INTx style interrupt messaging
to be common- and that requires zero software model changes...

If one is a member of the PCI-SIG, then its a good time to hit the
website and download the PCI-Express specification.   If you are not
a SIG member, good time to join, the membership information is at the
site, and the bottom line is $3000 (3K) to make your company a member.
Reasonable for most every company, and steep for individuals.

-David O'Shea
Intel Corp.
david.j.oshea@intel.com